Who is Served by Community Action Programs?
Each year, Community Action Programs serve approximately 16.2 million of the approximately 34.5 million Americans living in poverty. The Fairfax County Community Action Program served a total of 17,870 individuals in FY 2012. In general, individuals who receive services from community action programs:
- Have very low incomes;
- Live in families with children;
- Are working at the time they seek help or have recently been in the workforce;
- Represent the ethnic makeup of the US poverty population;
- Have few tangible assets; and
- Lack adequate education and employable skills.