(For all DUE DATES: If a payment date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or County holiday, the due date is the following business day.)
- Real Estate Tax: July 28 and December 5 (extended to December 7 for 2015; December 5 is a Saturday) - Value as of January 1. First installment bills must be paid by July 28. Second installment bills must be paid by December 5 (extended to December 7 for 2015; December 5 is a Saturday). If you receive a real estate bill but believe your taxes are escrowed as part of your monthly mortgage payment, we encourage you to contact your mortgage company. This sometimes occurs if your mortgage company changes or if they have incorrect address information. If you still require assistance, please telephone us at 703-222-8234 or email us at email@example.com.
Car Tax: October 5 - Value as of January 1. Bills are mailed in the summer. Pay by October 5. For vehicles bought or located in the County on or after July 1, payment is due February 15 the following year.
For Personal Property and Real Estate taxes, state law does allow an extension for payment while a service member is deployed outside of the United States. Virginia Code §58.1-3916 provides as follows: “Notwithstanding any contrary provision of law, the local governing body shall allow an automatic extension on real property taxes imposed upon a primary residence and personal property taxes imposed upon a qualifying vehicle, as defined in §58.1-3523 [i.e., personal use vehicle], owed by members of the armed services of the United States deployed outside of the United States. Such extension shall end and the taxes due 90 days following the completion of such member’s deployment. For purposes of this section, ‘the armed services of the United States’ includes active duty service with the regular Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard or other reserve component.”
To request a payment extension under this provision, the service member should notify DTA of his/her deployment and contact us and pay within 90 days of post deployment. Documentation, preferably a copy of military orders, will be required.
Decals: Fairfax County residents are no longer required to display a County decal on the windshield of their vehicle. However, the Fairfax County Code requires owners of motor vehicles newly acquired or moved into the County to file for taxation within 60 days, otherwise a penalty for late filing will be assessed.
Local Vehicle Registration License Fee: Due on the same dates as payment of the Car Tax (included on bills if applicable).
You may file for the Car Tax in several ways. We recommend you perform this activity online:
- You may register your vehicle online using our Vehicle Registration Tool.
- You may file over the phone by telephoning 703-222-8234 [TTY: 703-222-7594]. To file by phone, you must have your temporary or permanent Virginia state registration.
- You may download the Car Tax Registration Form from this Web site. Return the completed tax form.
- You may file at the Fairfax County Government Center located at 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 223. (Directions to the Government Center)
Residents of the Towns of Clifton, Herndon and Vienna will still need to purchase and display town decals. Please contact your respective town for more information
Business, Professional, and Occupational License: March 1 (extended to March 2 for 2015; March 1 is a Sunday) - New businesses must file within 75 days of starting new business.
Dog Licenses: January 31 (for renewals) - All dogs 4 months of age or older.