Fairfax County History Commission Historical Roadside Marker
In 1837 Hachaliah Bailey (1774-1845) from Westchester County, New York, purchased 526 acres in the northeast quadrant formed by the intersection of Leesburg and Columbia Pikes. Here he built his home, known as "Moray," which was destroyed by fire in 1942. Before moving to Fairfax County Bailey operated a traveling "menagerie" of elephants. His son, Lewis Bailey (1795-1870), introduced the canvas circus tent to the world and owned a traveling circus before settling on this land that he farmed after 1840. During the Civil War Union officers and their families boarded at Moray. All that remains of the original estate is Moray Lane, which led directly to the house.
Date Installed: February 6, 2001
Marker Credits: Fully funded by Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus.
Marker Location: Falls Church. In Crossroads Center, between 5800 and 5801 Leesburg Pike. Near a gazebo at the inside corner of the shopping center, just south of Glen Forest Elementary School.