Fairfax County History Commission Historical Roadside Marker
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church
St Mark's Episcopal Church is one of several congregations that evolved from the efforts of nineteenth century students from the Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria. The first congregation met at the original Groveton Schoolhouse on Popkins Lane and Richmond Highway in 1880, providing the farming community its first place of worship between Alexandria and Woodlawn Plantation. In 1903 the Groveton Mission built a church on the west side of Richmond Highway on land donated by Franklin Pierce Reid, adopting the name Christ Protestant Episcopal Church of Groveton. When the congregation moved to this location in 1958 on land given by Carl and Beulah Tavenner, the present name was adopted.
January 13, 2011
Funded by Mrs. Charlotte Brown and the History Commission.
Alexandria. In front of St. Mark's Episcopal Church at 6744 S. Kings Highway.