Fairfax County History Commission Historical Roadside Marker
“Benvenue” was part of the 3402 acre “Woodberry” estate granted by Lord Fairfax in 1724 to George Turberville. Charles Lee Corbin Turberville was deeded 400 acres in 1796, which included 198 acres that became known as “Benvenue” when acquired by Capt. Thomas ap Catesby Jones, USN, in 1830. The sandstone house reportedly was named after the Louisiana plantation where Jones recovered from wounds received in defending New Orleans on 14 Dec. 1814. During the Civil War the Army of the Potomac's Fourth Corps occupied the surrounding area. “Benvenue” served as a field hospital from Oct. 1861 to Mar. 1862. Later the spelling was changed to “Bienvenue”, French for “welcome”.
Primarily funded by the McLean Chapter 830 of the American Association of Retired People, with additional funds provided by the History Commission due to a price increase.
McLean. At 6800 Churchill Road, north of Dolley Madison Boulevard/Route 123.