Fairfax County History Commission Historical Roadside Marker


Cartersville Baptist Church

Cartersville Babpist Church Marker Text: According to tradition, free African-Americans established a religious congregation, which met in private homes, in this area as early as 1863. Rose Carter, a member of the community, donated land for a church in 1903. The church served the residents of Cartersville and the nearby enclave of Woodentown. The building also served as a school after 1927. The original church stood until 1951 when it was rebuilt. After a fire in 1972 the church was rebuilt again and rededicated in 1979. The church still serves as a place of worship for many descendants of the original congregation who are buried here.

Date Installed:
April 2006

Marker Credits:
The Cartersville Baptist Church provided $400, the Hunter Mill Defense League provided $375 and the History Commission paid $775 toward this marker.

Marker Location:
Vienna.  On the east side of Hunter Mill Road, north of Sunrise Valley Drive.  In front of Cartersville Baptist Church at 1727 Hunter Mill Road.

Marker Location Map


Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2013

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version