Fairfax County History Commission Historical Roadside Marker
The Civilian Conservation Corps
During the Depression, in 1933, President Franklin D. Roosevelt's administration established the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) to help unemployed men, ages 18 to 25. CCC men created state parks, improved soil conservation, conducted reforestation and constructed fire trails. The men received food, clothing, shelter, health care, education and were paid $30 monthly, of which $25 was sent home. Projects of the racially segregated Fort Belvoir CCC camp, Army 3 VA-2399 C ("Colored"), included building fire trails through forested areas of Fairfax County. One such trail started at Old Keene Mill Road, crossed nearby Accotink Creek, and ended at Backlick Road.
Date Installed: April 2008
Marker Credits: Fully funded by the History Commission.
Marker Location: Springfield. In Lake Accotink Park. On Accotink Park Road near Southern Drive, on the left when traveling west. From Backlick Road (County Route 617), take Highland Street west to Accotink Park Road on the right. Accotink Park Road jogs to the left (follow the signs to the park) while Southern Drive continues straight ahead.