Fairfax County History Commission Historical Roadside Marker
The community of Rose Hill was created in 1954. The land was part of an 18th century plantation known as Rose Hill, established by Daniel French, the builder of Pohick Church. The house was the site of a raid by Confederate Maj. John S. Mosby on 28 Sept, 1863. On that occasion French Dulany, one of Mosby's raiders, captured his own father, Col. Daniel F. Dulany, who remained loyal to the Union. The original frame house was destroyed by fire in 1895.
Date Installed: February 6, 2001
Marker Credits: Fully funded by the History Commission.
Marker Location: Alexandria. On Rose Hill Drive south of Franconia Road. In front of John Marshall Public Library at 6209 Rose Hill Drive.