Fairfax County History Commission Historical Roadside Marker


Springfield Station

Marker Text:
The first Springfield Station was located on the south side of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad near this location. Built after 1851, when the railroad was completed to Henry Daingerfield's "Springfield Farm," the station was the site of a Civil War skirmish on 3 October 1861 and a Confederate raid on 3 August 1863. The station served as the first Springfield Post Office from 1866 to 1868. It was reinstated as Corbett Post Office in 1907. The name changed back to Springfield in 1910 and so remained. The Springfield Post Office was moved to another location in 1953.

Date Installed:
December 15, 1999

Marker Credits:
Funded by the Fairfax County History Commission.

Marker Location: Springfield. On Hechinger Drive east of Backlick Road/Route 617 at the Backlick Road Commuter Rail Station parking lot.

Marker Location Map

 

 

Springfield Station

 

 

 

 


Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2013

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version