Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District (NVSWCD)
- Watershed Friendly Garden Tour. Get inspired by rain gardens, edible landcaping, porous pavers, wildlife-friendly wetlands and ponds, native plant gardens, solar and geothermal installations and more! Sunday, June 9, 1-5 p.m.
- Environmental Excellence Awards. Nominate a county resident, organization or business in your community by May 31.
- Sign up for a Rain Barrel Workshop. Build your own on June 1 or June 8. Pre-made sale on July 20.
- Chickens in Your Backyard. Interest in locally grown food is on the rise, from urban gardening to backyard chicken operations. Can Fairfax County residents keep chickens?
- Additional Announcements
Stewardship & Education Opportunities
Conservation in the Community
For Students & Teachers
- Articles on Environmental Topics
- Conservation Currents, quarterly newsletter
- Earth-Friendly Suburban Horse Farming
- Lawn Care Operators with Virginia DCR Water Quality Agreements (PDF)
- Rain Garden Design and Construction: A Northern Virginia Homeowner's Guide (PDF)
- Residential Low Impact Landscaping Workbook and associated Resource List (PDF)
- Simple Things You Can Do To Clean Up Urban Streams and the Chesapeake Bay (PDF)
- Tips on Keeping your Lawn Green and the Chesapeake Bay Clean (PDF)
- A Virginian's Year-Round Guide to Yard Care (PDF)
- Water Quality Stewardship Guide
- You and Your Land, a Homeowner's Guide for the Potomac River Watershed