Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District (NVSWCD)
- Next Green Breakfast, July 13. Speaker to be announced.
- Sign up for a Rain Barrel Workshop. Pre-made sale on July 20. More to come in August, September and October.
- Tumbler Composter Workshop. Next workshop coming later this summer!
- Chickens in Your Backyard. Interest in locally grown food is on the rise, from urban gardening to backyard chicken operations. Can Fairfax County residents keep chickens?
- Limiting Pesticide and Herbicide Use. U.S. homeowners apply about 80 million pounds of pesticides to lawns each year, using 10 times more pesticides per acre on lawns than farmers do on crops.
- Additional Announcements
Stewardship & Education Opportunities
Conservation in the Community
For Students & Teachers
- Articles on Environmental Topics
- Conservation Currents, quarterly newsletter
- Earth-Friendly Suburban Horse Farming
- Lawn Care Operators with Virginia DCR Water Quality Agreements (PDF)
- Rain Garden Design and Construction: A Northern Virginia Homeowner's Guide (PDF)
- Residential Low Impact Landscaping Workbook and associated Resource List (PDF)
- Simple Things You Can Do To Clean Up Urban Streams and the Chesapeake Bay (PDF)
- Tips on Keeping your Lawn Green and the Chesapeake Bay Clean (PDF)
- A Virginian's Year-Round Guide to Yard Care (PDF)
- Water Quality Stewardship Guide
- You and Your Land, a Homeowner's Guide for the Potomac River Watershed