Green Breakfast Events
NVSWCD facilitates a bi-monthly gathering to discuss environmental topics in a casual setting on a Saturday morning. Attendees include agency representatives, interested citizens and community members, students, lawmakers, members of the business community and representatives of local non-profits. Six green breakfasts are held each year.
To receive updates about Green Breakfast speakers, contact NVSWCD. You can also choose to receive monthly Watershed Calendar emails or quarterly Conservation Currents newsletters.
July 9, 2016 Green Breakfast
Join us for the next Green Breakfast on Saturday, July 9, 2016, at Brion's Grille in Fairfax, from 8:30 to 10:00 a.m. Green Breakfasts are held on the second Saturday of every other month.
- Speaker: Fairfax Master Naturalists
- Brion's Grille: 10621 Braddock Rd., Fairfax, VA 22032, located in the University Shopping Mall (Braddock Road and Route 123) across the street from the Roanoke River Road entrance to George Mason University.
- Cost: $10.00 for the Breakfast Buffet, including an all-you-can-eat hot buffet with fresh fruit and coffee, tea, orange juice or water. Cash is preferred. If you would only like a beverage, please contact us.
- Note: You may bring fliers about your organization's events and activities. There will be time for announcements.
Enjoy a delicious buffet breakfast while learning about the Fairfax Chapter of the Virginia Master Naturalists. Master Naturalists are volunteer educators, citizen scientists, and stewards helping Virginia conserve and manage natural resources and public lands. The Fairfax Chapter has been active since 2007, and its members are involved in many local conservation and education efforts. Learn more about what Fairfax Master Naturalists do and how to become one yourself!
Past Green Breakfasts
Past Green Breakfast topics and speakers include:
- Fairfax Master Naturalists. July 2016.
- Pollinator Meadow Planting and Celebration. Fairfax County Government Center. May 2016.
- Managing Climate Change Risks in the Washington DC Metropolitan Area: Adaptation Through NASA's Telescope. Congressman Gerry Connolly and Erik Tucker of Leidos. March 2016.
- Mushrooms, Fungi and Environmental Remediation. Meredith Keppel. January 2016.
- Potomac Environmental Research and Education Center (PEREC). Chris Jones, George Mason University. November 2015.
- What Weeds Can Tell You About Lawn Health. Adria Bordas, Virginia Cooperative Extension. September 2015.
- A Celebration of NVSWCD's First 70 Years. July 2015
- Using Radical Daikon Radishes to Improve Urban Soil. George Mason High School Students. May 2015.
- Skolithos in Fairfax County. Jerry Peters, NVSWCD Board Member. March 2015.
- Conservation Assistance Program. Lily Whitesell, Watershed Specialist, NVSWCD. January 2015.
- Keith Cline, Director of Urban Forestry for Fairfax County. November 2014.
- Vision for Our Parks. Kirk Kincannon, Director, Fairfax County Park Authority. September 2014.
- Lake Barcroft Watershed Improvement District. July 2014.
- Huntley Meadows Restoration Project Grand Opening. May 2014.
- Organic Gardening and Foodscaping. Unity Prior Gardens. March 2014.
- Public Health and Climate Change. Dr. Laura Anderko, Georgetown University. January 2014.
- Deer and Forest Ecology. Jim McGlone, Virginia Department of Forestry. November 2013.
- Retrofitting the Lakes and Dams of the Pohick Watershed. Matt Meyers and Dipmani Kumar, Watershed Improvement Branch, Fairfax County Department of Public Works and Environmental Services. September 2013.
- Youth Environmental Leaders. Talia Schmitt, Owen Mulvey-McFerron, Liam Berigan and Matt Baker, FCPS high school students. July 2013.
- Huntley Meadows Park Wetland Restoration. Kevin Munroe, Park Manager, Huntley Meadows. May 2013.
- Green Buildings, Passive Homes and Residential Energy Efficiency. Peter Henry, Architect. March 2013.
- Saving Nearby Nature. Pat Coady, Northern Virginia Conservation Trust. January 2013.
- Conservation Practices for All Landscapes : From Your Downspout to the Chesapeake Bay. Lily Whitesell, Watershed Specialist, NVSWCD. November 2012.
- Government Center Stormwater Project Tour. Fairfax County Stormwater Planning Division. Special Event, October 2012.
- A Potential New Green Energy Corridor. Conrad Mehan, EnviroSolutions. September 2012.
- Energy Action Fairfax. Susan Hafeli, Utility Analyst, Fairfax County. July 2012.
- Recognizing Our Region’s Treasured Landscapes. Laura Grape, Northern Virginia Regional Commission. May 2012.
- Greening Your Community, One School at a Time: FCPS Get2Green Program. Elaine Tholen, Environmental Educator, Fairfax County Public Schools. March 2012.
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Soils But Were Afraid to Ask. Dan Schwartz, Soil Scientist, NVSWCD. January 2012.
- Urban Stormwater Management in Fairfax County. James Patteson, Director, Department of Public Works and Environmental Services. November 2011.
- A Sneak Peek at Environmental Issues in the General Assembly Session. Delegate David Bulova, 37th District. September 2011.
- Offshore Wind Energy in Virginia. Sierra Club. July 2011.