The 2018 July 4th holiday celebration kicks off on Saturday, June 30, with the first round of fireworks displays! And the fun continues for many of our residents all week long. Whatever the length of your holiday, if you are staying in Fairfax County, here are four things to know:
Saturday, June 30: Lake Fairfax Park in Reston will have a daylong celebration with swimming, boat rides, puppet shows, food vendors, live music and fireworks when it gets dark. Parking is $10/vehicle. The rain date for fireworks is Sunday, July 1.
Saturday, June 30: Workhouse Arts Center in Lorton will feature live music by the U.S. Navy Band Commodores, the Navy’s premier jazz ensemble and a spectacular fireworks show! The event begins at 5 p.m. and fireworks start at dusk. General admission is free and parking is available for $20/vehicle.
Wednesday, July 4: McLean’s Annual 4th of July Celebration takes place at Churchill Road Elementary. The free event begins at 6:30 p.m. and includes free shuttle buses, a DJ and food trucks. The rain date for fireworks is Thursday, July 5.
If you or a friend have had too much alcohol to drink, hopefully you’ve already designated a driver. If there’s no designated driver available, you can use the SoberRide program from Wednesday, July 4, beginning at 7 p.m. to Thursday, July 5, at 4 a.m.
What to know to get your free ride provided by Lyft:
- Download the Lyft app to your phone, and then enter the code in the app’s Promo section. The Washington Regional Alcohol Program’s (WRAP) July 4th SoberRide Promo Code will be posted at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, July 4.
- Offer is valid for up to $15 off one ride taken in the Washington, D.C., coverage area. Users are financially responsible for anything over $15. Valid for new and existing Lyft users.
- It is available to the first 1,500 Lyft passengers who enter the code. And is subject to Lyft’s terms of service.
- You must be 21 or older to use the SoberRide service.
- You cannot reserve a SoberRide or schedule a pickup in advance.
The county’s Independence Day holiday schedule may affect your trash pickup or your library book pickup. Read the complete holiday schedule for your county services. Also, please note that the Oak Marr and Wakefield farmers markets are closed on Wednesday, July 4.
Whether the destination is within the county or fireworks on the National Mall, a Delaware beach, Shenandoah National Park or a friend’s picnic – you can expect a lot of people traveling on roads and riding Metro. Plan ahead to take some stress out of your travel.
- Metro’s July 4 Holiday Service Information .
- Get VDOT’s Real-Time Traffic Information at 511Virginia.org.
- Fairfax Connector Will Have Saturday Schedule on July 4.