As The Boro in Tysons moves closer to completing construction on its first 1.7 million square feet next year, the project’s developers revised the plans for one of its future buildings.
The Meridian Group was approved to remake the building that was planned as a residence or hotel into an office. The Board of Supervisors signed off on the developer’s proposal on June 19. The change was made due to stronger than anticipated demand for office space, according to the developer’s attorney.
Located at Greensboro Drive at Silver Hill Drive, the future office will feature a contemporary design with an angled façade along Silver Hill Drive. It will rise between 14 to 23 stories with up to 350,000 square feet in office and ground-floor retail space.
When fully built out, The Boro will be 4.2 million square feet on an 18-acre site just steps from the Silver Line’s Greensboro Metro Station. The project includes existing office buildings at 1765 and 1775 Greensboro Station Place and 12 new buildings.
The Boro’s first phase, which is anticipated for delivery in 2019, will offer 500,000 square feet of office; 260,000 square feet of retail and about 700 residential units.
This includes the largest Whole Foods in the region with a food hall, craft brewery and demonstration kitchens. The Boro will also offer a 14-screen, ShowPlace Icon Theatre with bar and dining.
Other buildings include:
- Rise: A 27-story apartment building located at the corner of Greensboro Drive and Westpark Drive.
- Verse: A 25-story luxury condominium tower with 140 units now for sale.
- Bolden: A residential building with a sky park.
- The Loft: A 77,000-square-foot building with three stories of loft office spaces with 9-foot ceilings perched above two stories of retail.
- Boro Tower: A 20-story office building at the heart of the The Boro that is designed to achieve LEED Gold certification. Media firm Tegna is moving its headquarters into this tower, leasing 46,200 square feet on two floors. It will be joined by the international law firm Hogan Lovells, which is taking up 44,520 square feet in the building.
As part of the overall development, The Boro will provide two new important public facilities. The project’s developer will design and build a future, 19,000-square-foot public library.
The developer also will provide a new, full-size, synthetic turf athletic field called Tysons Technology Field. This field will be located off-site from The Boro on a property south of the intersection of Route 7 and the Beltway, off SAIC Court.