Who to Contact About Downed Trees and Wires

downed tree


If a tree falls, then who do you call? Here’s a list of who to contact if you see a downed tree or wires:


1.) Life-Threatening

  • If there’s an immediate life-safety issue, call or text 9-1-1.
  • If a tree falls into your home:
    1. Get everyone safely out of your house. Use your cellphone or go to a neighbor’s house and call 9-1-1.
    2. Stay away from the home until public safety employees can access your home for structural safety (as well as ensuring your utilities are OK or should be turned off.)
    3. Only after all of these safety measures should you then call your insurance company.


2.) Power Lines


3.) Roads


4.) Sidewalks


5.) Fairfax County Government/Parks/Schools

  • County Government buildings: 703-324-2055, TTY 711
  • Fairfax County Park Authority property: 703-324-8594, TTY 711 or report online
  • Fairfax County Public Schools property: 703-764-2429, TTY 711


6.) Private Property

  • Removal is the property owner’s responsibility. We suggest direct communication with your neighbor, then we recommend contacting a professional, licensed arborist to inspect the tree. The county has no authority in civil issues like downed trees.


7.) Posing Hazard to Public Areas

  • Contact Fairfax County Urban Forestry at 703-324-1770, TTY 703-324-1877.


A final note: Beware of tree trimming scams that continue to plague our community.


Read previous post:
Weekly Briefing logo
67 Headlines: Weekly News Briefing: Feb. 6-10

Here are headlines from around your county government this week. At any time, you can find all county government news headlines...