Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-280-0694
Media Information Line: 703-324-3000
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a structure fire at approximately 9:45 p.m., Monday, March 10, 2008, at Robinson Secondary School. The school is located at 5035 Sideburn Road.
Firefighters saw smoke and fire coming from the rear of the school, near the track and field area upon arrival. Firefighters extinguished the fire in approximately 15 minutes. Fire damage to the structure was minimal; however, there was major damage to paper and food products. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $15,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An electrical anomaly caused the fire; the point of origin of the fire was near an electrical outlet.
- Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
- Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
- When possible, avoid the use of "cube taps" and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single receptacle.
- Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instruction for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Lieutenant Raúl G. Castillo, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711. Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.