Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-280-0694
Media Information Line: 703-324-3000
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire at approximately 8:20 p.m., Friday, June 6, 2008, in the McLean area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 1008 Kimberwicke Road.
Firefighters encountered heavy black smoke coming from the first and second floors and attic of the two-story brick home upon arrival. Firefighters brought the fire under control within a few minutes. A portion of the second floor between the kitchen ceiling and second floor hallway had burned through. The fire originated in the ceiling of the kitchen. One adult male was home when the fire broke out. Red Cross was not needed. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $60,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An electrical anomaly in the ceiling caused the fire.
- Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
- Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
- When possible, avoid the use of "cube taps" and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single receptacle.
- Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instruction for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Lieutenant Raúl G. Castillo, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711. Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.