Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-280-0694
Media Information Line: 703-324-3000
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire at approximately 7:30 p.m., Monday, June 9, 2008, in the McLean area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 7050 Arbor Lane.
Firefighters encountered fire in the attic and light smoke coming from the roof of the two-story colonial-style home upon arrival. Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 20 minutes. Two people have been displaced. Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $100,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An electrical anomaly in the attic caused the fire.
- Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
- Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
- When possible, avoid the use of "cube taps" and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single receptacle.
- Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instruction for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Lieutenant Raúl G. Castillo, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711. Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.