Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-280-0694
Media Information Line: 703-324-3000
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire at approximately 8:10 p.m., Tuesday, June 10, 2008, in the Annandale area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 7154 Beverly Street.
Firefighters encountered heavy fire coming from a detached shed with fire extension to the home upon arrival. The fire started in the shed and spread to the siding of the home. A nearby vehicle was also damaged in the fire. Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the exterior of the home. It took firefighters approximately 15 minutes to bring the fire under control. No one was home when the fire started. The family, two adults and four children, have been displaced. Red Cross is assisting the family. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $50,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. The cause of the fire was a lightning strike to the shed.
- Avoid contact with corded phones.
- Avoid contact with electrical equipment or cords. If you plan to unplug any electronic equipment, do so well before the storm arrives.
- Avoid contact with plumbing. Do not wash your hands, do not take a shower, do not wash dishes, and do not do laundry.
- Stay away from windows and doors, and stay off porches.
- Do not lie on concrete floors and do not lean against concrete walls.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Lieutenant Raúl G. Castillo, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711. Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.