Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-280-0694
Media Information Line: 703-324-3000
Fairfax Fire and Rescue Department units responded to an apartment fire Saturday, June 21, 2008, at approximately 10:35 p.m. in the Annandale area of Fairfax County. The three-story apartment building is located at 4113 Wadsworth Court.
Firefighters encountered smoke and fire from a window on the second floor upon arrival. Firefighters quickly brought the fire under control and contained the fire to the furnace room. There was no one home when the fire broke out. Two adults and three children have been displaced. Red Cross is assisting the family.
Damage is estimated at $25,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An electrical anomaly in the furnace room caused the fire.
- Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
- Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
- When possible, avoid the use of “cube taps” and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single receptacle.
- Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instruction for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Lieutenant Raúl G. Castillo, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711. Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.