Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-280-0694
Media Information Line: 703-324-3000
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire Monday, July 14, 2008, at approximately 8:10 a.m. in the Herndon area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 1108 Jeff Ryan Drive.
Firefighters encountered fire and smoke coming from the first floor and attic of the two-story home upon arrival. Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 30 minutes. No one was home when the fire broke out. Two adults have been displaced. There were no injuries. The fire was primarily contained to the kitchen area. The home had working smoke alarms.
Damage is estimated at $100,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. The cause of the fire was an electrical anomaly in the kitchen.
- Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
- Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
- When possible, avoid the use of “cube taps” and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single receptacle.
- Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instruction for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Lieutenant Raúl G. Castillo, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711. Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.