Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-280-0694
Media Information Line: 703-324-3000
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire at approximately 12:50 p.m., Friday, August 22, 2008, in the Virginia Hills area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 3703 Trigger Court.
Firefighters reported a basement fire with smoke visible throughout the one-story home. Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 10 minutes. Eight people were displaced; seven adults, and one juvenile.
There were no injuries. The Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents.
Damage is estimated at $80,000.
According to fire investigators, the cause of the fire was accidental. Vapors from cleaning products in the basement ignited, starting the fire.
Flammable Liquid Safety
We all know that the use of flammable liquids is a common part of modern society. Here are some safety rules to follow when using flammable liquids:
- Use flammable liquids outside whenever possible.
- Never smoke while using flammable liquids (this includes filling up the car).
- Store flammable liquids in approved safety cans.
- Never refuel power mowers, chain saws, etc., while they are hot; wait until the machine is cool to the touch before refueling. Wipe up spills immediately.
- Store flammable liquids outside the home, in a cool, well-ventilated area, away from any possible heat source.
- Never store more than five gallons of flammable liquids.
Remember, flammable liquids were developed to make life easier and more enjoyable. Use them safely and wisely so they will do just that!
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Lieutenant Raúl G. Castillo, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711. Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.