Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
News Release 10-50
Date: May 10, 2010
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a townhouse fire Sunday, May 9, 2010, at approximately 8:00 p.m., in the Centreville area of Fairfax County. The townhouse is located at 6808 Cottingham Lane.
Firefighters encountered fire coming from the rear of the middle unit, two-story townhouse upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an exterior attack and brought the fire under control in approximately 20 minutes. The fire was contained to the rear deck with minor fire extension to the attic. Despite heavy winds, firefighters were able to protect the adjacent townhouses from fire exposure. An adult male received injuries from the fire and was transported to the Washington Hospital Burn Center with non-threatening injuries. There were no other injuries.
Damage is estimated at $25,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. Improper disposal of smoking materials caused the fire.
Discarded Smoking Materials Safety Tips
- Completely douse butts and ashes with water before throwing them away as they can smolder and cause a fire.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Provide large, deep ashtrays with a center support for smokers. Check furniture for any dropped ashes before going to bed. Empty ashes into a fireproof container with water and sand.
- Keep smoking materials away from anything that can burn (i.e., mattresses, bedding, upholstered furniture, draperies, etc.).
- Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used.
- If you smoke, choose fire-safe cigarettes. They are less likely to cause fires.
- To prevent a deadly cigarette fire, you must be alert. You won’t be if you are sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.
- Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children's sight and reach.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger,
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711.
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs,
services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030