Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
News Release 11-032
Date: April 12, 2011
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire Monday, April 11, 2011, at approximately 1:10 p.m., in the Fox Mill area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 11800 Riders Lane.
Firefighters reported smoke and fire coming from the front and upper floor of the two-story home upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an interior attack on the fire and were able to contain the damage to primarily an upstairs bedroom. There was additional smoke and water damage to the second floor area. Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 20 minutes. Smoke alarms sounded and provided early warning to the occupants. Red Cross assistance was declined. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $110,000.
According to fire investigators, the cause of the fire was accidental. Improperly discarded smoking materials in a bedroom caused the fire.
Discarded Smoking Materials Safety Tips
- Completely douse butts and ashes with water before throwing them away as they can smolder and cause a fire.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Provide large, deep ashtrays with a center support for smokers. Check furniture for any dropped ashes before going to bed. Empty ashes into a fireproof container with water and sand.
- Keep smoking materials away from anything that can burn (i.e., mattresses, bedding, upholstered furniture, draperies, etc.).
- Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used.
- If you smoke, choose fire-safe cigarettes. They are less likely to cause fires.
- To prevent a deadly cigarette fire, you must be alert. You won’t be if you are sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.
- Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children's sight and reach.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger,
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711.
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs,
services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030