Firefighters Distribute Christmas Tree Safety Tags
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
News Release 11-93
Date: November 21, 2011
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department crews will be distributing Christmas tree safety tags to holiday tree lot vendors during the week prior to the Thanksgiving holiday. The green and white 5 x 8 inch tags provide valuable fire safety tips for residents when purchasing a tree.
Vendors will provide the “Fire Safety and Your Tree” tags with every
tree purchase while they last.
Christmas Tree Fire Safety Tips
- Keep tree base immersed in water.
- Do not permit smoking near the tree.
- Use only lights that are U.L. approved.
- Use flame retardant decorations and paper.
- Inspect lights for frayed or cracked wiring, broken plugs, and defective sockets.
- Unplug lights at night and when leaving the home.
- Remove the tree soon after the holidays–before the needles dry out.
If you would like a printable copy of our “Fire Safety and Your Tree” tag, please go to http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/download/MultiLanguageTreeTag.pdf.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger,
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711.
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs,
services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030