Accidental Alexandria Area House Fire
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
News Release 12-08
Date: January 25, 2012
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire, Tuesday, January 24, 2012, at approximately 11:50 p.m., near Fort Hunt, in the Alexandria area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 2125 Rampart Drive.
Firefighters encountered smoke and fire coming from the eaves and roof of the two-story home upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an aggressive offensive fire attack bringing the fire under control in approximately 20 minutes. The seat of the fire was in the attic space near the chimney of the fireplace. Two adults were home when the fire broke out. One adult male was transported to INOVA Mount Vernon Hospital for non-life threatening injuries. Two adults have been displaced. Red Cross support was declined.
Damage is estimated at $30,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. A zero clearance fireplace caused the fire.
Fireplace Safety Tips
- Ensure that your chimney is cleaned and inspected by a licensed professional once a year.
- A spark arrestor across the top of a chimney will prevent sparks from igniting your roof.
- Use the proper fuel (seasoned hardwood, pellets, and gas/propane) for your type of system. Never use gasoline, kerosene, or other flammable liquids to start a fire.
- Fireplaces should have a sturdy screen across the front to prevent embers from flying or logs from rolling out.
- When clearing ashes from the fireplace, be sure to put them into a metal container with a lid—never into a cardboard box or paper bag.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Many “non-masonry” fireplace/chimney units have limitations on the amount of heat they can safely withstand.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger,
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711.
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs,
services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030