Fire Chief Selects William A. Garrett for Deputy Chief
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
News Release 12-52
Date: July 16, 2012
Fire Chief Ronald L. Mastin has selected Battalion Chief William A. Garrett for promotion to deputy chief. Chief Garrett will be assigned as deputy chief, C-Shift, field operations, Operations Bureau, effective July 28, 2012. Since October 2010, he has served as the department’s project liaison for the county’s new personnel and financial management system, FOCUS.
Chief Garrett was born and raised in Fairfax County in the Gum Springs community and began his career as a recruit firefighter in September 1989, and was initially assigned to Fire and Rescue Station 13, Dunn Loring. Prior to recruit school, he was a volunteer firefighter at Franconia Volunteer Fire Station 5. Career promotions and assignments include:
- Technician, May 1993; Fire and Rescue Station 25, Reston.
- Lieutenant, May 1994; Fire and Rescue Station 31, Fox Mill; Fire and Rescue Station 19, Lorton; Investigations, Fire Prevention Division; Fire and Rescue Station 24, Woodlawn; Fire and Rescue Station 5, Franconia.
- Captain I, November 2004, Investigations, Fire Prevention Division; shift leader, Fire and Rescue Station 41, Crosspointe.
- Captain II, March 2007, station commander, Fire and Rescue Station 11, Penn Daw.
- Battalion Chief, January 2010, seventh battalion, C-Shift, field operations, first battalion, B-Shift, field operations.
As deputy chief, C-Shift, he will be one of three shift operational deputies, and will supervise the daily activities of 37 county fire and rescue stations throughout the county. He will be responsible for approximately 350 personnel.
Chief Garrett received his associate’s from Northern Virginia Community College in criminal justice, and his bachelor’s from George Mason University in foreign languages. He is a graduate of Leadership Fairfax. He is a member of Fairfax County Professional Firefighters and Paramedics, Local 2068, Progressive Firefighters of Fairfax County, Fairfax County Professional Fire and Rescue Officers Association, and the Fairfax County Hispanic Firefighters Association.
He is the recipient of the 2009 Firefighter of the Year Award, the department’s highest award.
Chief Garrett and his wife, MPO Lauretta Garrett, Fairfax County Police Department, and their two children live in Centreville, Virginia.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I William Moreland, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711. Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request. https://www.facebook.com/fairfaxcountyfirerescue