Clifton House Fire
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
News Release 13-50
Date: May, 06, 2013
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire, Sunday, May 05, 2013, at approximately 12:45 a.m., in the Clifton area of Fairfax County. The single family home is located 5597 Cavalier Woods Lane.
Firefighters encountered heavy fire and smoke coming from the first and second floor and the rear of the two-story home upon arrival. Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 30 minutes. No one was home when the fire started. One adult and one child have been displaced. Red Cross support was offered but declined by the occupants.
Damage is estimated at $150,000.
Candle Safety Tips
- Do not place candles near combustible materials.
- Place candles in glass or ceramic containers.
- Place candles on a flat, sturdy surface.
- Never leave children unattended in a room with an open flame candle.
- Do not place candles on window ledges or near entryways. The potential air draft can “fan” the flame, catching curtains or other materials on fire.
- Do keep burning candles within sight at all times. Candles can present fire hazards outdoors on decks and patios as well as inside your home.
- Always extinguish candles before leaving the home.
- Place all candles on a protected, heat resistant, dry surface away from anything that can catch fire and out of the reach of children and pets.
For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Randal Bittinger,
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711.
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs,
services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030