Sometimes, first aid isn't a bandage, or CPR, or the Heimlich, or calling 911.
Sometimes, first aid is YOU!
Someone you know could be experiencing a mental illness or crisis. You can help them.
You are more likely to encounter someone experiencing a mental health crisis than someone having a heart attack. Mental Health First Aid teaches you the common warning signs and risk factors associated with mental health concerns, along with a five-step action plan to help someone in crisis.
Whether you are a first responder, teacher, faith community leader, parent, co-worker, or caring community member, these certification courses have information everyone can use.
Mental Health First Aid is offered virtual and in-person. The overall course is eight (8) hours. The live virtual course includes two (2) hours of self-paced prework and six (6) hours live virtual training.
- Virtual Adult Mental Health First Aid, in English
- Virtual Youth Mental Health First Aid, in English
- You can also fill out our request form to set up a custom class (virtual or in-person) for your group
The following courses are currently not available at this time: Mental Health First Aid for Higher Ed, Adult Mental Health First Aid in Spanish, Mental Health First Aid for Older Adults (for adults who live or work with older adults) and Mental Health First Aid for Public Safety. When these courses are available again, details will be posted here.
When registering, please be careful to select the correct course. The course is free for residents of Fairfax County and the Cities of Fairfax and Falls Church. For all other's there is a $25 materials fee for these courses. After you complete the online registration, you will receive an email confirmation which includes mailing information for where to send your payment, if necessary. Checks payable to “Fairfax County Government”. Fees for custom classes will be determined after discussion. Fairfax County Government employees may attend free of charge
Please note: If you have previously registered for a course, but do not see the course listed below, that means the course is now full. When a class becomes full, it no longer shows on this page. Please email us if you have a question about a previous registration.
How virtual MHFA works:
- BEFORE class: participants will be sent a link inviting them to log in to the Learning Management System (LM) to complete self-paced pre-work. This must be completed 24 hours prior to the Virtual Instructor-led portion.
- DURING class: 6.5 hours of interactive instructor-led virtual class (including breaks). You will need access to a computer/tablet with working audio and camera.
- AFTER class: participants take a short survey and then receive an official MHFA certified which is valid for three years.
WEATHER POLICY: Due to the virtual nature of current classes, if there is school closing, unscheduled leave or a delayed opening, all classes will still be held. If a class needs to be cancelled, the instructor will contact the participants directly via email.