Hunter Mill District
About Hunter Mill District
Welcome to the Hunter Mill District
Stay in touch with the Board of Supervisors, County and district programs and events with our electronic newsletters. To be included in our email distributions, contact the Hunter Mill Office. Past issues of both the eBlast and Hunter Mill Highlights newsletters are located on the Newsletters page (see left tab).
- eBlast - a summary of the latest Board of Supervisors meeting and actions with a Hunter Mill emphasis.
- Hunter Mill Highlights - my monthly e-newsletter containing district and County information.
News and Notices
Hunter Mill Melodies Summer Concerts
Hunter Mill Melodies, a free family friendly summer concert series, is a perfect way to enjoy a summer evening. Concerts are held each Thursday, beginning at 7:30 p.m., at the Kidwell Farm of Frying Pan Farm Park, 2709 West Ox Road, Herndon. Come and enjoy the wide variety of quality musical acts. Bring a blanket or your chair to enjoy the show. Mark your calendar for the coming events:
- July 2: Dale Jett and Hello Stranger (country)
- July 9: Scythian (Irish/rock)
- July 16: Lao Tizer Trio (jazz/world rock)
- July 23: Shenandoah Run (folk)
- July 30: Gonzo's Nose (party music)
In addition, Wednesday Morning Children's Series performances begin at 10 a.m., and is held at the Visitor Center at Frying Pan, 2739 West Ox Road, Herndon. These performances are appropriate for all ages. Coming up are:
- July 1: The YOJO Show (comedy)
- July 8: The Goodlife Theatre (puppets)
- July 15: Fizzical Fairytales (circus theatre)
- July 22: Scalawags Singalong for Young Pirates (pirate music)
Concerts on Thursday evenings will be cancelled if its raining. If there is a threat of bad weather, call 703-324-SHOW(7469) after 6 p.m. for updates.
WORLD POLICE AND FIRE GAMES: June 26 through July 5
The Hunter Mill District will host many of the events of the games, including the Athletes Village at Reston Town Center. All events are free and open to the public. Check out the following links for information on the games, schedules, venues, activities and more.
- General Information and WPFG website
- Introduction to the Games
- Sporting Events
- Athletes Village and Events (at Reston Town Center)
- Schedule of Events and Venue Locations
NOW SHOWING on "Connecting with Supervisor Hudgins" County's Channel 16: World Police and Fire Games
Each month, Supervisor Hudgins hosts a conversation on County and Hunter Mill District topics on her cable television show, Connecting with Supervisor Hudgins. The cable show is broadcast on the County's Channel 16 (COX) and Channel 28 (Comcast). On this edition, Supervisor Hudgins discusses the 2015 World Police and Fire Games with Captain Christian Quinn, Fairfax County Police Department and WPFG Senior Operations Manager, Barry Field, President and CEO of Celebrate Fairfax, Ben Snyder, WPFG Senior Games Manager, and Diana Rothe-Smith, WPFG Director of Volunteer Management. Connecting with Supervisor Hudgins is shown each week on Sundays at 4 p.m., Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m., and Fridays at 4 p.m. Or, program can be viewed from your computer with video on demand.
First Wednesdays with Supervisor Hudgins
First Mondays sessions have moved to First Wednesdays beginning in 2015. Sessions are held quarterly at the Reston Regional Library and Patrick Henry Library in Vienna. You are invited to come and share any concern you may have on any issue with Supervisor Hudgins, or just talk with her one-on-one. First Wednesdays hours are also changing to 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Walk-ins are welcome, or if you prefer, you can schedule an appointment by calling the Hunter Mill District office at 703-478-0283. Schedule for the upcoming First Wednesdays are;
- July 1, 4-6 p.m. at Patrick Henry Library
- September 2, at Reston Regional Library
- October 7, at Patrick Henry Library
Farmers Markets Open for the Season
Farmers markets throughout the County begin their operations the first week in May. The markets are unique "producer-only" locally grown markets. All vendors come from within a 125-mile radius of Fairfax County and must grow or produce all the products they sell at the market. Vendors bring the freshest produce, meats, cheese, ice cream, breads, honey, sweets, cut flowers and plants to Fairfax County residents. Farmers markets in and near the Hunter Mill District are;
- Reston Lake Anne Plaza - Saturdays from 8 a.m. to noon
- Vienna - Center Street - Saturdays from 8 a.m. to noon
- Herndon Old Towne - Thursdays from 8 to 12:30 p.m.
- Oak Marr Park - Oakton - Wednesdays from 8 a.m. to noon.
The markets at Reston and Herndon are both accepting SNAP benefits (formerly food stamps). The SNAP at the market program is making strides to increase access to fresh foods for low income families. As an extra incentive, these two markets have implemented a "double bucks program" which matches up to $10 a day to be used on additional produce. For additional information on the markets, visit the Park Authority's Farmers Market webpage, and Vienna's Farmers Market site.