Marriage License Information
- Marriage License Information - Marriage licenses are issued by the Clerk of the Circuit Court.
- Online Marriage License Pre-Application - Marriage license applicants who are 18 years of age or older, can complete the pre-application online and submit it directly to the Fairfax Circuit Court.
- Marriage License Copy Request Form - Form for married couples that need a certified copy of their marriage license.
- Marriage License Correction Procedures - A court order is necessary to correct any mistake on a marriage license.
- Marriage Affirmation Procedure - Procedure for marriages performed by unauthorized celebrants. A court order is necessary to affirm a marriage performed by an unauthorized celebrant.
Marriage Celebrant Information
- 'One Time' Civil Marriage Celebrant Information - Individuals wishing to perform a wedding ceremony in Virginia must obtain prior court authorization.
- Religious Celebrant Authorization Information - Clergy wishing to perform a wedding ceremony in Virginia must obtain prior court authorization.
- Celebrant Instructions - Details for authorized marriage celebrants about completing, signing, and returning a marriage license.
- Wedding ceremonies are not required to take place in any official location. Ceremonies can be performed anywhere (with permission of the property owner) within the Commonwealth of Virginia. As a courtesy, a list of government offices that can be reserved for holding a wedding ceremony is provided below. Please call the individual facilities for the room size and availability.
- Authorized civil marriage celebrants who can perform legal marriage ceremonies for immediate unions or future ceremonies are listed below. Fairfax County does not provide “Justice of the Peace” services at the Courthouse for immediate unions.
In order to view PDF files, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. To obtain a free copy, follow this link: