Concealed Handgun Permits
NOTICE: Effective July 1, 2017
- Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) Applications must use Virginia State Police’s new CHP Application Form, form SP-248 (See below).
- Applicants must present a valid form of photo identification at the Civil Intake counter (Suite 319), when filing a new CHP.
- If you already possess a CHP, and have changed your residence, use the new Change of Address Form, form SP-248A. (See below).
- NOTE: Only Renewal CHP Applications are eligible for filing by mail. Mailed Renewal Applications must include a photocopy of a valid ID in the submission.
- Changes pursuant to Code of Virginia §§18.2-308.02,.06,.10,.11
Pursuant to Code of Virginia §18.2-308, any person twenty-one years of age or older, or if he or she is a member of the United States Armed Forces, may apply in writing to the Clerk of the Circuit Court where he or she resides or the county or city in which he or she is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun.
Concealed Handgun Applications are available at:
Fairfax Circuit Court Clerk's Office
Civil Intake Division
4110 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030
All Concealed Handgun Permits granted by the court will be mailed to the applicants. All Concealed Handgun Permit applications are SEALED. §18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia renders all Concealed Handgun Permit applications confidential and not viewable by the general public.
Information is also available at the Virginia State Police web site. The site has the application and lists jurisdictions with which Virginia has reciprocal agreements.
In order to view PDF files, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. To obtain a free copy, follow this link: