Transit Development Plan
The Fairfax County Department of Transportation (FCDOT) is pleased to present the final version of the service recommendations and implementation plan from its Transit Development Plan (TDP), a ten-year vision plan for the expansion and enhancement of Fairfax Connector and Metrobus service operated in, and paid for by, Fairfax County.
- Outreach Activities (Large file, 15MB PDF)
- Existing Conditions (Large file, 5MB PDF)
- Existing and Planned Transportation Systems (Large file, 7MB PDF)
- Survey Results
- Ridecheck Data Collection
- Service Recommendations (Large file, 16MB PDF)
- Tysons Corner Analysis (Large file, 5MB PDF)
- Criteria and Standards for Locating Transit Centers, Park and Ride Lots, and Connector Stores
- Proposed Park and Ride Lots (Large file, 5MB PDF)
- Special Populations Analysis (Large file, 16MB PDF)
FCDOT would like to acknowledge the many people who contributed to the successful completion of this two-year effort.
- The members of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, and the members of their staffs responsible for transportation issues.
The members and staffs of the following County boards and
- The Fairfax County Transportation Advisory Commission
- The Fairfax Area Disabilities Services Board
- The Fairfax Area Commission on Aging
- The Fairfax County Planning Commission
The members of the following community and business groups:
- The Springfield District Council
- The Braddock District Council
- The Mount Vernon Council of Civic Associations
- The McLean Citizens Association
- The Pimmit Hills Citizens Association
- The Reston Association
- The Reston Chamber of Commerce
- The Transportation Association of Greater Springfield (TAGS)
- The Tysons Transportation Association (TYTRAN)
- Store managers at Tysons Corner Center
- The members of the Fairfax County community who provided their input.
The staff members from the consultant team:
- ATCS, P.L.C. (prime contractor)
- TranSystems, Inc. (sub-contractor, service analysis and recommendations)
- Sharp & Co. (sub-contractor, public outreach)
- WB&A Market Research (sub-contractor, surveys and on-board passenger counts)
- The staff members from FCDOT and WMATA who served on the Project Management Team.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the TDP?
The TDP is a ten-year vision plan for the expansion and enhancement of bus service operated in, and paid for by, Fairfax County. Like the Transportation Plan component of the County's Comprehensive Plan, the TDP contains recommendations for bus service improvements that are likely to be needed over a period of several years.
Is the TDP financially constrained?
No. It was decided early in the development of the scope of work for the TDP that the County would be best served by a plan that identified known and likely bus service needs for a ten-year period. The substantial changes in the County's budget situation over the two-year life of the project suggest that providing budget projections for the ten-year life of the TDP would be much more difficult.
How will the TDP recommendations be funded?
Decisions regarding what services can be supported financially will be made annually, as part of the development of each year's budget.
How will the TDP recommendations be implemented?
Each of the service recommendations in the TDP will go through the same review process and Board of Supervisors approval as has been done in the past. Some recommendations may be changed or dropped; others may be added.
Will the TDP be updated?
If so, how often?
Yes, the TDP will be updated. Comprehensive reviews of bus service in the County likely will be performed at approximate five-year intervals.
Who should I contact if I have questions or comments?
Please contact the FCDOT project manager for the TDP:
Fairfax County Department of Transportation
4050 Legato Road, Suite 400
Fairfax, VA 22033-2895
TTY: 711 (Virginia Relay)