Fairfax County Bicycle Program
Sign-up for Bike News & Info!
To receive Bicycle Program specific news and information, sign up at Fairfax Alerts! by selecting “Bicyclist and Pedestrian Information” under the “Department of Transportation” main category.
Community Meeting on Franconia Road Bicycle Improvements June 15!
- Join us on June 15, 2015, at 7 p.m., to learn about the proposed bicycle improvements to the Franconia Road are. The meeting will be held at Edison High School, 5801 Franconia Rd., Alexandria, and will focus on the proposed addition of bicycle facilities to Franconia Road between South Van Dorn Street and Craft Road. The meeting will include a brief presentation and an opportunity for questions. There will be graphics of the proposed redesign available for those in attendance to view and discuss.
- The Virginia Department of Transportation is repaving a section of Franconia Road and is reviewing the segment for the addition of bicycle facilities, as called for in the Fairfax County Bicycle Master Plan. The proposal would implement a "lane diet," which involves narrowing the existing lanes and using the extra space for new bicycle facilities.
- If you have any questions about the meeting or the proposed improvements, please contact Adam Lind, Fairfax County Bicycle Program, at 703-877-5783.
Draft Fairfax County Bicycle Parking Guidelines
The Fairfax County Bicycle Parking Guidelines are designed to help developers with providing the proper number, type, and placement of bicycle parking. The guidelines provide examples of bicycle parking rates for different types of development, different styles of acceptable bicycle racks, and proper placement in a variety of locations. The Fairfax County Bicycle Parking Guidelines are currently in draft form and FCDOT is accepting comments until the end of June. If you would like to provide comments, please send the Bicycle Program an e-mail.
Summer 2015 Repaving Information
Visit our Projects Page to find information about past meetings on Proposed Bicycle Projects related to the Summer 2015 Repaving.
We Want to Know How You Bike to Metro!
We're also interested in finding out about how you are biking to transit stations today. This will help us to prioritize our investments in bicycle infrastructure. Visit the Biking to Metro and VRE Wikimapping Project to get started!
Recently Completed Projects
Reston Bike Share
Feasibility Study - The study was completed in June 2014 and
recommended that Fairfax County move forward to bring bike sharing to
- Wiehle-Reston East Station Bike Room - Don't miss out, sign up to be a member for this new secure Facility.
- View our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about the Wiehle Bike Room.
- New Bike Fairfax Phone App- On the Go? Learn how to download Bike Fairfax on your smart phone.
- Fairfax County Bicycle Master Plan - The draft Bicycle Master Plan was completed in late 2012. Staff is working with various County departments for review.
- New Bicycle Lockers - Available to rent at the Burke and Backlick Road VRE Stations. For more information and locker locations, visit the Bike Lockers page.
About the Bike Program
In 2006 the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors approved the comprehensive bicycle initiative, a program committed to making Fairfax County bicycle friendly.
Four primary components of this initiative include the following: creating a county bicycle route map, establishing a full-time staff position devoted to bicycle facility coordination, planning, and implementation, examining roads and streets that may accommodate on-road bike lanes with minimal reconstruction and establishing a pilot program for an interconnected bicycling network. Program responsibilities have been assigned to the Fairfax County Department of Transportation.
Some Things We’re Working On
Fairfax County Bicycle Route Map- A top priority of the Board of Supervisors was the creation of a bicycle map showing bike friendly routes connecting all of Fairfax County. The first countywide bicycle route map was released on May 16th, 2008. More information and downloadable versions of the map are available on the bike map page.
Bike and Ride- We want to make it easier to get around Fairfax, so we initiated “Bike and Ride”. On October 15, 2007, 100% of our Fairfax Connector bus fleet was equipped with front mounted bike racks, each capable of carrying two bicycles. For more information see our bicycle commuting page.
On-Road Bike Lanes- FCDOT is working with the Virginia Department of Transportation to identify roadways that can be retrofitted with on-road bike lanes or wide curb lanes to better accommodate bicycles. This will be accomplished by readjusting pavement markings and adding signage. Some of the routes under consideration are: Gallows Road, Westmoreland Street, Fort Hunt Road, Backlick Road/Amherst Avenue, Glade Drive, Jones Branch Drive, Sleepy Hollow Road, Braddock Road, and Hunter Village Drive. Currently there are over 30 roadway segments across the county identified to accommodate bicyclists.
Bicycle Locker Rental Program- Ten lockers are located at Reston South Park and Ride lot, ten are available at the Herndon-Monroe Park and Ride lot and 20 lockers are available at Sunset Hills Park and Ride lot. For more information visit our Bike Lockers page.
Communications and Outreach- With our new bicycle program underway, we thought it would be nice to hear from our users. We’ve made it easier by establishing a designated phone line and an e-mail mailbox. Call us at (703) 324-BIKE (2453) or use our contact form. FCDOT is also a sponsor and participant of “Bike to Work Day” and will be participating bike events around the county.
Transportation Demand Management and Bicycles- We have begun looking at how bicycles fit in to the development process. In the coming months, staff will be developing bicycle standards for the development community. These standards will address things such as: bicycle parking requirements, rack and locker specifications, bicycle sharing, and other programs designed to make bicycling a mode choice.
Bicycle Safety and Helmets- This year, FCDOT teamed up with the Virginia Department of Health to distribute bicycle helmets to children who can not afford helmets. More information is available on the Bike Safety page.
Bicycle Improvement Projects- FCDOT is developing a list of projects that will improve bicycle travel and securing funding to see these projects through to construction. Watch for more news on this effort.