Fairfax County Rides on Bike to Work Day 2013
May is National Bike Month and Friday, May 17 is Bike to Work Day. Commuter Connections, the Washington Area Bicyclists Association (WABA) and local governments including Fairfax County will host one of the nation's largest Bike to Work Day events. The annual event is held every spring to increase awareness and expose people to the benefits of bicycling to work, and to the market, the library, the café, the book store, the bike shop…basically everywhere!
This year, there are 70 pits stops around the region. Eleven pit stops will be set up throughout Fairfax County:
- Reston Town Center (at the intersection of Discovery Street and Market Street)
- Vienna (at the Vienna Town Green on the W&OD)
- Fairfax City (Main Street Market Place near Main Street Bagel)
- Fairfax Corner (in the plaza opposite Coastal Flats)
- Tysons Corner (at L.L. Bean, lot directly in front of store between Nordstrom's and Bloomingdales)
- Springfield (Metro Park at Walker Lane)
- Merrifield (at the intersection of Sandburg Street and the W&OD)
- Merrifield ( At the Mosaic District, in front of Strawberry Park Angelika Theater)
- Burke VRE Park and Ride Lot
- Herndon (at the Town Hall Green just off the W&OD)
- Mount Vernon (At Collingwood Park, just off Mt. Vernon Trail)
Pit stops will provide snacks and drinks, offer free bicycle tune-ups, and a chance to meet fellow riders. Participants who register will get a 2013 Bike to Work Day t-shirt and be eligible to win some cool prizes. To register or get additional information, visit www.biketoworkmetrodc.org.
To find the most convenient bicycle route, contact the pit stop managers listed on Bike to Work Day Web site or contact the Fairfax County Department of Transportation's bicycle program staff at 703-877-5600, TTY 711 or e-mail email@example.com.
Bike to Work Day is an opportunity to encourage people to think about bicycling as a commuter option. It's fun, it's healthy, and it's green!