Autism Resources in Fairfax County
Resource list compiled by the Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board.
Fairfax County Public School Resources
- Parent Resource Center: 703-204-3941, Dunn Loring Administrative Center, 2334 Gallows Road, Dunn Loring, VA 22027
ServiceSource : Contact Theresa Piccolo at 571-337-9076. ABLE (Autism Bridge to Learn and Empower): Employment services, including assessments and assistance with obtaining volunteer and paid employment, and soft skills club to individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder living in Fairfax County(supported by funding from the Fairfax County Consolidated Community Funding Pool).
- Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services (DARS): Contact Jessica Stehle at 571-210-2183, 11150 Fairfax Boulevard, Suite 300, Fairfax, Virginia 22030. DARS operates a vocational rehabilitation program that helps individuals with disabilities get ready for, find, and keep a job.
Social Skills / Recreational
- JSSA (Jewish Social Service Agency): www.jssa.org/socialskillsgroups; social skills therapy groups for children and teens with autism spectrum disorders
- Eddie’s Club, Inc.: 703-304-2330, www.eddiesclub.org; nonprofit geared towards giving boys and girls ages 4 to 21 that have any form of disability an opportunity to participate in a supervised, volunteered-based, activity and recreational program.
- Department of Therapeutic Recreation: 703-324-5532; Saturday Leisure Program, Motor Skills Program and Funtastic Friday (drop-in leisure program for children on the Autism spectrum and their families).
- McLean Bible Church: Contact Stephanie Reding at 703-770-8654, www.mcleanbible.org; respite group (Friday evening and Saturday during the day from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
- Hartwood Foundation: 703-914-3901; fee-for-service respite provider for persons who have a primary diagnosis of intellectual disability
ID Waiver/DD Waiver
- Families of children with Autism should apply for a DD waiver. Those with an ID diagnosis should apply for an ID waiver. For Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board intake information, call 703-324-4400.
McLean Bible Church:
- Parent support group meets last Sunday of the month from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.
- Sibling only events (co-ed ages 7-12), contact Heather Coleman at 703-790-3832
- Parents of Autistic Children of Northern Virginia: www.poac-nova.org, 703-391-2251, Concerns@POAC-NoVA.org; support meetings held third Saturday of each month
- McLean Bible Church:
- The Arc of Northern Virginia: www.thearcofnova.org, 703-532-3214
- Autism Society of America, National Office: www.autism-society.org, 301-657-0881
- Autism Society of Northern Virginia: www.asnv.org, 703-495-8444, email@example.com
- Parents of Autistic Children of Northern Virginia: www.poac-nova.org, 703-391-2251, Concerns@POAC-NoVA.org
Websites with current Autism research
Autism Society of Northern Virginia: www.asnv.org,
- Focus: Advocating for people with autism; providing support for their families and caregivers; ensuring access to education, vocational training, housing, transportation, recreation and other lifespan needs.
Institute of Child Health and Human Development Autism
- Focus: Providing easy access to the most current information about NICHD research projects, publications, news releases and other activities related to autism and similar disorders.
Organization for Autism Research: www.researchautism.org
- Focus: Funding applied research and providing feedback on research to the Autism community.