Supporting People with Intellectual Disability in our Community
Who Is Eligible for Services?
In order to be eligible for services, an individual must meet the following criteria:
- Reside currently in Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax or the City of Falls Church.
- Be at least 2 years old.
- Have a documented diagnosis of intellectual disability (mental retardation) with onset before age 18.
- Have significant deficits in at least two areas of adaptive functioning.
How Do I Apply for Services?
For all of these services, please call at 703-324-4400, TTY 703-324-4495.
What Kinds of Services are Available?
- Connects people with appropriate services and supports to maximize opportunities for successful community living.
- Coordinates and monitors service delivery and provides interdisciplinary team planning.
- Helps individuals and their families determine eligibility for benefits and services and obtain them.
- Advocates for individuals and families.
Day Support and Employment Services
- Provides services through contracts with multiple private, nonprofit service providers.
- Provides varying levels of training, support and assistance based on individual needs and preferences.
- Offers services ranging from center-based development day support to community-based supported employment in integrated work settings.
- Offers respite services for caregivers (center and home-based).
- Offers a subsidy program to help families pay for respite care.
- Operates some services directly and some through contracts with private residential service providers.
- Provides varying levels of residential support services based on individual needs and preferences. Supports can range from in-home or drop-in hours each week to group home settings with 24-hour staff support.
If you do not have the Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, click on the image below to go to the Adobe Systems, Inc. download site. Download and install the program according to the instructions. Adobe Acrobat Reader is free and is distributed by Adobe Systems, Inc.