Girl Power©™ is an evidenced-based Promising Prevention Program of the US Department of Justice's Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
The Girl Power philosophy values healthy life choices that empower participants to develop confidence, resist negative peer pressure, do well in school and become active community participants.
Girl Power is a 32-week community-based prevention program designed to prevent alcohol, tobacco and other drug use and promote mental wellness for girls ages 10 to 14 who are in grades 5 through 8. Facilitated by CSB Wellness & Health Promotion Specialists in schools and community centers, the Girl Power program is designed to provide culturally sensitive, gender-specific prevention approaches. Girl Power focuses on reducing known risk factors and enhancing protective factors which increase the ability of participants to deal with challenges they may face with in their lives.
The program teaches a strong “no use” message about alcohol, tobacco and other drugs while providing opportunities for girls to build skills and self-confidence in academics, arts, sports and other endeavors.
The program uses four components:
- Education/Skill Building Groups focus on increasing knowledge, clarifying beliefs and attitudes and building skills. These groups are held weekly and are designed to help girls make healthy choices.
- Service Learning Projects are oriented toward cooperative experiences that promote teamwork and civic responsibility.
- Enrichment Experiences are designed to expose and engage participants in healthy community based cultural, social, and recreational activities.
- Parental involvement to encourage integration of Girl Power topic areas in the home environment.
CSB Wellness & Health Promotion supports community-wide prevention efforts through capacity building. Our goal is to bring effective substance abuse prevention practices like the Girl Power program to every community so more people have access to them.
Interested in becoming a Girl Power facilitator and offering the program in your community? We will provide materials to get you started, train you and provide ongoing technical support. See the links below for more information.
About the Girl Power©™ Program
- Introduction and Philosophy – Learn more about the Girl Power©™ program, including philosopy and implementation, as well as a sample program schedule
- Logic Model
- Girl Power©™ Theory, Conceptual Underpinnings and Hypothesis
- License Agreement – A sample of the three-year license to operate the Girl Power©™
- Order Form – Download the form to place your order and get started with the Girl Power©™ Program
If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader software installed on your computer, click on the image below to go to the Adobe Systems, Inc. download site. Download and install the program according to the instructions. Adobe Acrobat Reader is free and is distributed by Adobe Systems, Inc.