2017 Proposed Hunter Mill Street Design Improvements
- Colts Neck Road Proposal Map
- North Shore Drive Proposal Map
- Twin Branches Road Proposal Map
- Community Meeting Flyer
Project News and Updates
Community Meeting Held March 16; Comments Due March 31, 2017
Fairfax County Department of Transportation (FCDOT) hosted a community meeting to discuss proposed bike lanes in the Hunter Mill District on Thursday, March 16, 2017, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., in the cafeteria of Dogwood Elementary School, 12300 Glade Drive, Reston. The purpose of the meeting was to gather input on various proposals to improve traffic safety, bicycling and the pedestrian environment in Reston. Representatives from FCDOT and VDOT presented plans for the projects, which include sharrows/shared lane markings, bike lanes, crosswalks and pedestrian improvements.
- 2017 VDOT Repaving and Restriping Reston: Bicycle, Pedestrian and Traffic Safety Improvements Presentation - March 16, 2017
As part of the Virginia Department of Transportation's (VDOT) 2017 repaving schedule, the following areas in the Hunter Mill District are under review:
Shore Drive: Ring Road to Wiehle Avenue - two options:
- Keep existing parking but narrow travel lanes to add bike lanes and shared-lane markings; or
- Restrict on-street parking to one side of the street from Ivy Oak Square to Wiehle Avenue. Add bike lanes in both directions for this segment. Keep existing parking from Ivy Oak Square to Ring Road. Narrow travel lanes to add bike lanes and shared-lane markings.
- North Shore Road Design Plans (4 pages)
In addition, a road diet is proposed near Tall Oaks Village Center, as approved in the rezoning.
Branches Road: Lawyers Road to South Lakes Drive - narrow
travel lanes to reduce speeding and add bike lanes. Parking will be
Twin Branches Road Design Plans (2 pages)
- Twin Branches Road Design Plans (2 pages)
Neck Road: Reston Parkway to Glade Drive - keep existing
parking but narrow travel lanes and add bike lanes.
Neck Road: Glade Drive to Sunrise Valley Drive - implement a
diet to create a center turn lane and reduce speeding; add bike
lanes; and improve pedestrian safety by adding crosswalks.
- Colts Neck Road Design Plans (3 pages)
Note: A separate meeting will be scheduled if any proposed changes are brought forward regarding Glade Drive.
The proposed improvements are limited to changes that can be made with roadway striping as part of the repaving process. For more information about road diets, read the Federal Highway Department Road Diet Informational Guide.
Click on the image below to enlarge.
FCDOT ensures nondiscrimination in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you need this information in an alternate format or would like to request reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities or limited English proficiency, contact FCDOT at 703-877-5600, TTY 711. Requests for assistance must be received at least 7 business days in advance of an event.