Birth and Death Certificates
Starting May 31, the Mount Vernon District Office will begin providing Vital Records services to residents of Fairfax County and the cities of Fairfax and Falls Church. These services will continue to be available at the Joseph Willard Health Center.
Birth and death certificates are maintained by Virginia's Office of Vital Records in Richmond. Vital records are available to immediate family members only: mother, father, husband, wife, adult son or daughter, brother, sister, grandparents, and adult grandchildren with valid ID.
- Aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws, ex-spouses, etc. cannot obtain a vital record.
- Birth records become public information after 100 years; and death, marriage, and divorce records after 25 years.
Fairfax County Offices of Vital Records
Joseph Willard Health Center
3750 Old Lee Highway
Fairfax VA, 22030
Direct Phone Number: 703-246-7122, TTY 711
Mount Vernon Office
8350 Richmond Highway, Suite 233
Alexandria, VA 22309
Direct Phone Number: 703-704-6138, TTY 711
Functions of the Fairfax County Office of Vital Records:
- Request copies of death certificates for all deaths occurring in Fairfax County and the cities of Fairfax and Falls Church during the past 5 years
- Certify death certificate applications
- Live birth certificates are certified (births outside a hospital only)
- Requests a Verification of Death Letter
- Issue out-of-state transit permits
For information on how to obtain a Certified Vital Record, please visit the Virigina Department of Health Office of Vital Records: http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/vital_records/index.htm
Virginia's Office of Vital Records can be reached by phone at 1-804-662-6200.
You may request certain corrections to a birth certificate through the Virginia Department of Health. If the request is denied, then you may file a request through the Fairfax Circuit Court. A copy of the denial letter from the Office of Vital Records must accompany the petition, order and supporting documentation to correct a birth certificate.
View information on correcting a Virginia birth certificate .