Public Health nursing jobs provide long term and satisfying careers to nurses who want to combine their desire to make an impact at the community level rather than one patient at a time. Even before the COVID-19 pandemic, there were nursing shortages in public health; a field where much of the work is done behind the scenes.
Public health nurses play a critical role instituting policies and strategies to protect the public from infectious diseases. As evidenced during the COVID-19 pandemic, public health nurses were critical in slowing the spread of disease in long-term care facilities and other congregate settings, schools, and the community. They served as educators, testers, vaccinators, and investigators. While the pandemic may be slowing, these roles fill a critical need to ensure the health of our Fairfax community.
Public health nurses:
- Work to promote a healthy environment
- Improve the lives of others
- Learn about diverse cultures
- Collaborate across programs and community partnerships to creatively solve problems
- Enjoy leadership and growth opportunities
- Participate in a culture of teaching and educating clients
- Make a difference in the community
Feature: Childhood Immunization Public Health Nurses
We are creating a team of childhood immunization public health nurses because many families were unable to seek required vaccinations for their school-aged children during the past two years. This team will support increased vaccination opportunities for children and will provide vaccination services for students in schools, community sites, and local health department clinics – helping to close childhood immunization gaps in our community.
The Virginia Department of Health is providing funding for these part-time, grant-supported positions. If you are an experienced nurse who finds joy in working with adolescents and school-aged children, and want to make a difference in the community, this is for you!
Learn more about our Public Health Nurses
What are you looking for at work?
Being a Public Health Nurse at the Health Department has its benefits!
- Predictable schedules, Monday – Friday
- Comprehensive benefits, like paid time off and retirement (full time)
- Opportunities to grow and learn
- A supportive team environment
- Making a difference in this community
Meet some of our Public Health Nurses!
School Health Nursing in Fairfax, Va
Meet Public Health Clinic Nurse Jasmine
Meet Public Health Nurse Joanna Hemmat
Meet Public Health Nurse Natalia Giscombe Simons
Meet TB Nurse Savita Sood
Meet more nurses!