- An annual flu vaccine is the best way to fight the flu. The Health Department recommends getting vaccinated as soon as vaccine becomes available in the fall. Use the Flu Vaccine Finder on this page to locate a vaccination center near you.
- CDC recommends that everyone 6 months and older get vaccinated against the flu every year, especially people who are at high risk.
- Flu vaccine is safe and effective.
- Flu vaccine cannot cause the flu.
More Info: Learn more about all types of influenza from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
2015-2016 Influenza Season
Flu activity most commonly peaks in the United States between December and February. However, seasonal flu activity can begin as early as October and continue to occur as late as May.
Learn how to fight the flu!
Learn about Seasonal and Pandemic Influenza
- Use the Flu Vaccine Finder to locate a provider near you. Cost for vaccine may vary by location.
Flu vaccine is available through all of the traditional flu vaccine
providers which include:
- Your doctor or health care provider
- Local pharmacies and grocery stores
- Flu vaccine is available at Fairfax County Health Department clinics.
See How Community Immunity Works
When enough people are vaccinated against the flu, everyone in the community is protected. For community immunity to work, each of us who can receive vaccine, must be vaccinated each year, because the flu virus changes from year to year.