Food Safety Mission Statement
The Mission of the Food Safety Program is to prevent foodborne illness by educating food establishments and the general public on safe food handling practices and by ensuring that food items prepared and served by food service establishments located in Fairfax County, Falls Church City and Fairfax City are safe, unadulterated and prepared under sanitary conditions.
The Food Safety Section mission is accomplished by providing the following services:
- Review of food establishment plans and conduct pre-operational inspections.
- Conduct inspections of approximately 3200 permitted food establishments which include restaurants, public schools, day care centers and hospital kitchens.
- Inspect and permit temporary food establishments at events such as fairs and festivals.
- Respond to citizen complaints and inquiries.
- Investigate foodborne illness outbreaks to determine the source and to minimize the spread of disease.
- Provide food safety information and hold food safety workshops.