Permits for Food Establishments
Whenever a food establishment is constructed or remodeled or whenever an existing structure is converted to use as a food establishment, plans and specifications for such construction, remodeling or conversion must be submitted prior to the start of such construction, remodeling or conversion. The owner will have the final responsibility for the accuracy and completeness of the plans and specifications, as well as for subsequent construction and installation.
Non-Smoking Regulations in effect in Fairfax County
Current legislation prohibits smoking in restaurants that are open to the public. However, smoking may be permitted in food establishments under certain conditions. If you have any questions about the non-smoling requirements, please contact the Health Department at 703-246-2510 TTY: 711.
NEW RESTAURANT(proposed to be built) CHECKLIST:
- Submit completed plan review application to Health Department
- Submit four sets of plans/architectural drawings and plan review fee to Health Department
- Provide copy of menu
- Provide manufacturer's spec sheet/cut sheet for ALL equipment specified on the Equipment List including the water heater
ONCE CONSTRUCTION IS COMPLETED:
- Submit business license application for business license
- Submit completed Permit to Operate application and fee to the Health Department
Contact Health Department in person or call 703-246-2510 to schedule
At pre-opening inspection, owners must provide the following:
- Food Manager Certification: ORS Interactive, Inc.; 703-533-7600
- Final menu with Consumer Advisory, if applicable
- Plumbing Inspection Final Approval
- Mechanical Inspection Final Approval
- Electrical Inspection Final Approval
Open for Business once all approvals are granted, Health Department Permit is issued and Non-Residential Use Permit (Occupancy Permit) is issued.Note: Food Establishments are required to have a Certified Food Manager (CFM) on site during times of food preparation and operation of the establishment and are expected to oversee all aspects of safe food handling. Contact ORS Interactive, Inc at 703-533-7600 for information on tests and the certification process.
CHANGE of OWNERSHIP (of an existing establishment):
CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP INSPECTIONS MUST BE CONDUCTED BEFORE THE SETTLEMENT/CLOSING IS COMPLETED.
Submit the following to the Health Department:
- Permit Application and permit fee
- Business license
- Copy of new menu with Consumer Advisory, if applicable
- Provide a list of all equipment to be replaced or added
- Plans are required for equipment layout changes, remodeling, equipment installation or any other type of construction.
The Health Department will schedule an inspection following a review of the completed application.
Business License 703-222-8234
Commercial Inspection 703-324-1910
Fire Marshall 703-246-4800
Plan Review 703-246-2510
Zoning (Occupancy Permit) 703-222-1082
Final Inspection for Plumbing,
Electrical, Mechanical & Building 703-222-0455
City of Fairfax:
10455 Armstrong Street
Fairfax, VA 22030
Hours: 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. weekdays
Residential and Non-residential Use Permits 703-385-7820
Business Licenses-Commissioner of the Revenue 703-385-7880
City of Falls Church:
300 Park Avenue
Falls Church, VA 22046
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.weekdays
Commissioner of the Revenue 703-248-5019