Health Department – About Us
Director of Health
Gloria Addo-Ayensu, M.D., M.P.H., is the Fairfax County Director of Health. In this capacity she provides overall leadership, management and direction for public health programs in the county and serves as the official health advisor to Fairfax County’s Board of Supervisors, Health Care Advisory Board and the Human Services Council.
- The Health Department serves the residents of Fairfax County, the cities of Fairfax and Falls Church, and the towns of Herndon, Vienna and Clifton.
The Health Department has five core functions upon which service
activities are based:
- - Prevention of epidemics and the spread of disease
- - Protecting the public against environmental hazards
- - Promoting and encouraging healthy behaviors
- - Assuring the quality and accessibility of health services
- - Responding to disasters and assisting communities in recovery
- - Threats to Public Health: Prevent or minimize impact of new and emerging communicable diseases and other public health threats.
- - Access to Service: Assess community public health service needs and facilitate access to needed and/or mandated services.
- - Workforce Management: Employ and retain a skilled productive workforce that seeks to mirror the diversity of the community.
- - Enhanced Communications and Information Systems: Integrate and harness the use of proven technology to provide cost effective public health services.
Excellence Since 1917
- VISION: Healthy People in Healthy Communities.
- MISSION: To protect, promote and improve health and quality of life.
- - Making a Difference
- - Excellence
- - Respect
- - Customer Service
- - Integrity