Villages: Age-in-Place Supported Communities
What is a Village?
The Village concept is a growing grassroots movement that aims to provide the support that older adults may require when choosing to age-in-place. The idea is simple: neighbor helping neighbor. Villages help older adults stay in their communities by helping to coordinate and deliver services and support within their communities.
How does it work?
Village organizers, who are typically ages 50 and older, create volunteer programs for seniors in their communities as well as vet and negotiate with service providers to assist older adults in their homes. A broad range of services may be available, including rides to medical appointments, discounts at local theaters, reliable home repair services, and home health care. Many Villages also offer social activities and informational seminars for their members.
What is the cost for services?
Some Villages may charge a membership fee, which varies from Village to Village. In some cases, there are no fees and instead the Village establishes volunteer programs. Some utilize volunteer time exchanges called "time banks." The cost for professional services, such as for home repairs, will vary.
The Role of the Fairfax Area LTCCC
The Long Term Care Coordinating Council (LTCCC) is promoting the Village concept in the Fairfax community and helping interested volunteers set up Villages in their neighborhoods by providing them with guidance. The LTCCC Services for Seniors committee created a sub-committee so Fairfax area villages can exchange information and learn from each other. County staff who support the LTCCC provide technical assistance to citizens interested in developing Villages in their communities.
Benefits of Organizing a Village:
- Villages help older adults to stay in their communities, delaying or preventing the need for institutional care.
- Members of a Village have influence over the types of services that are provided to older adults in their community.
- Villages encourage volunteerism.
To learn more about organizing a Village in your neighborhood, contact us!
Current Fairfax Area Villages
For more information about current Villages in the Fairfax community, call, email or visit the web page of one of the Villages listed below:
- Braddock District Council Aging in Place Program | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Franklin Park Village | Email: email@example.com | Phone: 703-534-4964
- Lake Barcroft Village | Website: www.lakebarcroftvillage.org
- McLean Village: A Community for All Ages | Phone: 703-734-1580
- Mosby Woods Village | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mount Vernon at Home Village| Website: www.mountvernonathome.org
- Reston for a Lifetime | Website: www.restonforalifetime.org
- Reston Useful Services Exchange | www.restonuse.org
To learn more, visit the Village to Village Network at www.vtvnetwork.org.