Tattoo Removal Program
On June 30, 2015, the Fairfax Skindeep Tattoo Removal program officially ended.
During its 17-year tenure, the program offered free laser removal of gang tattoos for court-involved youth who committed to leaving the gang life behind. As a voluntary collaboration between Fairfax and Falls Church public human service agencies, public safety agencies and community-based organizations, the program was one of the first of its kind and served as a model for similar tattoo removal programs in northern Virginia and around the country.
Through this unique interagency partnership, the program was able to change the lives of many youth in Fairfax County. The program’s accomplishments included:
- A total of 121 youth clients enrolled, with 57 completing the program and being medically discharged;
- A total of 161 tattoos removed by laser;
- A total of 163 clinics conducted between May 11, 1998 and May 18, 2015;
- A total of 25 plastic surgeons volunteered 89 hours to performing laser tattoo removal; two physicians remained with the program for its entire history;
- A total of 499 hours devoted by public health nurses to operation and administration of the program; and
- A total of 468 hours of volunteer service by community partners to operate and support the program.
We would like to thank the dedicated volunteer physicians, program staff and community partners who made this program a success during its tenure.