*** NEW! APPLY ONLINE! ***
You can now apply for field or gym space online through the Athletic Facilities Application Requests (AFAR) online process. Through your AFAR account, you can access your permits, pay fees, submit rosters and schedules, and manage your organizational and contact information.
If you have never received a permit from us, please register for AFAR first.
If you have received permits in the past, proceed to the AFAR online application.
We will continue to accept the paper-based forms, as well. (Please do not submit both a paper and online application.)
4. Roster Summary Sheet - to be completed and submitted with payment
Mail completed applications to:
Department of Neighborhood and Community Services
12011 Government Center Parkway, Tenth Floor
Fairfax, VA 22035
Or fax to: 703-324-5546
Need to reserve a gym or athletic field in Fairfax County?
Frequently Asked Questions About reserving and using fields and gyms
The Department of Neighborhood and Community Services is responsible for allocating Fairfax County Public School (FCPS) gymnasiums and fields and Fairfax County Park Authority (FCPA) designated athletic fields for community athletic use. To apply for a facility use permit, download, complete, and submit the appropriate application below. If you have any questions, please contact the Athletic Services Division at 703-324-5533 or 703-324-5522, TTY 711, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or e-mail us at AthleticServices@fairfaxcounty.gov.
Season Dates and Application Deadlines
Field Season Dates *
Spring: March 1 - June 15
Summer: June 16 - July 31
Fall: August 1 - November 30
Winter: December 1 - February 28
Tournament: following calendar year
*Please note the following restrictions regarding field season dates:
- Fairfax County Park Authority Level 1 fields (lighted and irrigated grass fields) are available only from the second Friday in April to the end of the first full weekend in November. All other Park Authority grass fields are available only from the last Friday in March to the third full weekend in November.
There is limited synthetic turf field availability during the winter.
Gymnasium Season Dates
Spring: March 16 - June 15
Summer: June 16 - 2nd Sat. in August*
Fall: Monday after Labor Day - November 15
Winter: November 16 - March 15
*High school gyms are only available in the summer through July 31.
For more information or detail, please review the Fee Schedule.
Rosters listing participants’ names, addresses, phone numbers, and ages (if under 19) are required to be submitted with application and non-county fees for organization or individual use. Information on privacy regarding rosters.
Application Fees ( Application Fee Policy)
- Organization or Individual Use: $5.50 per participant per team per league season
- Tournament Use: $15 per team per tournament
One-time Use: $50 per assigned facility per use
Non-County Fees (Non-County Fee Policy)
- $30 per non-Fairfax County resident (league/organizations and groups of individuals only)
Building Director Fees (gym use only)
- $12.12 per hour. This fee is applicable only for groups that use that do not provide a Volunteer Building Director.
Custodial Fee (Saturday and Sunday gym use only)
- $32 per hour of use plus 90 minutes for gym opening and closing costs.
Tournament-related custodial fees
- Tournaments will require the presence of a second custodian (at a cost of $32 per hour) for one-half of the hours used each day at each facility
- Tournaments will require additional clean-up costs at $32 per hour: 4 hours per main high school gym, 2 hours per auxiliary high school or main middle school gym, 1 hour per auxiliary middle school gym.
Tournament Security Deposit (field tournament use only)
- $200.00 for the first facility reserved and $50.00 for each additional facility. The deposit will be refunded if one of the following occurs: (a) the tournament is cancelled, via written notification to NCS, at least 15 days before scheduled to begin; (b) the tournament is cancelled due to inclement weather; or (c) the tournament goes on as scheduled, but no damage is done to the facilities (in which case the deposit will be applied to damage fees).
- User groups are responsible for damages to facilities that occur during their usage.