Senior+ is the collective supportive services that enable seniors with minor cognitive and physical disabilities to actively participate in the day-to-day activities at Fairfax County senior centers. The program is provided in partnership with ServiceSource – a local non-profit organization with extensive background in supporting older adults and adults with disabilities.
Senior+ supportive services:
- Allow seniors with disabilities to enjoy the wide range of programming found at Fairfax County senior centers
- Enable participants to remain in the least restrictive environment and maintain as much independence as possible
- Reduce loneliness and isolation by providing fun and enjoyment in addition to preserving dignity and enhancing the quality of life for each participant
What Are Senior+ Supportive Services?
Senior+ supportive services are divided into two main functions:
- Therapeutic Recreation: Recreational therapists are available to design and implement adaptations and modifications needed to support members’ participation in day-to-day center activities.
- Case Management: Staff will offer guidance and provide referrals to individuals and families in determining the appropriate programs and services to meet seniors' needs.
While Senior+ does not maintain nurses on staff, there are resources in place to ensure that participants do receive health promotion support (e.g. blood pressure clinics).
Senior+ Eligibility and Fees
All registered members of Fairfax County senior centers are eligible to receive Senior+ supportive services as needed. To qualify for membership at Neighborhood & Community Services (NCS) Senior Centers, a participant must be 50 years of age or older and with minimal support be:
- Able to orient correctly to person, place and time
- Able to independently navigate to programs and through center facilities safely
- Able to get on and off a county vehicle independently or with a lift
- Able to remain seated in a county vehicle with the seat belt fastened until the vehicle comes to a complete stop
- Able to receive and follow instructions independently
- Able to recognize and respond appropriately to emergency warnings
- Able to function independently in a social setting using appropriate and respectful manners, language, and self-control
- Able to maintain personal care (eating, restroom usage, personal hygiene, medication management) independently
There is no fee to receive Senior+ services; however, all recipients must be current registered members at Fairfax County senior centers and are responsible for the annual $48 or $24 membership fee (depending on your income) for county residents. The annual fee for non-county residents is $100.