Home Based Care

Virginia and Fairfax County provide home based care (often called in-home care) to people with disabilities as an alternative to institutional living. This allows people to live in their communities and maintain a sense of independence and security. There are three categories of home based care:

  • Home Health Care – services provided by nurses, physical therapists, and occupational and speech therapists.
  • Personal Care – assistance with toileting, bathing, dressing, walking, etc. (daily life activities).
  • Support Services – shopping, meal preparation, housekeeping, etc.

Paying for Home Based Care

Home based care costs money. Private health insurance and long-term care insurance may cover some or all of the costs. Some people with disabilities may be eligible for government programs that cover the costs. For instance, Medicare helps pay for home based care if a doctor certifies that services like skilled nursing care, physical therapy, speech-language services, and occupational therapy are required. Medicaid helps pay the cost of in-home care for eligible persons. Fairfax County provides in-home care to persons meeting certain eligibility requirements through two programs.

Fairfax County Adult Services - Adult Services social workers provide assessment, care plan development and care monitoring. Services are available depending on eligibility criteria. 

ElderLink - Provides affordable care management to older adults in Northern Virginia.Anyone between the ages of 18-64 who receives Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and/or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits because of disability.

Home Based Care Provided by a Medicaid Waiver

In-home personal care may be provided for by a Medicaid waiver. Medicaid waivers were developed to encourage persons with disabilities who meet eligibility requirements for institutional care (assistive living or nursing homes) to receive services in their own homes. Specifically, a person with a disability who meets nursing facility eligibility requirements can apply for the Elderly or Disabled with Consumer Direction (EDCD) waiver. To request a screening for eligibility, call 703-324-7948, TTY 711.

When an EDCD waiver has been denied for a person with a disability who needs in-home personal care services, Personal Assistance Services (PAS)  may be provided by the Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services (DARS). A PAS application and assessment is needed to request PAS services. For information regarding PAS, call 1-800-552-5019, TTY 1-800-464-9950.

Finding Home Based Care Providers

Finding a home based care provider depends upon who will pay for the services and what services are required. Good places to look for private in-home care agencies include:

  • SeniorNavigator, a search engine of local services.
  • Web searches using the keywords: "Fairfax County" and "home care" or "home health care."
  • The phone book under "home care" or "home health care."

Fairfax County maintains a Companion Aide Registry of individual in-home care providers. The list is vetted and updated on a monthly basis. To request a print copy, call 703-324-7948, TTY 711.

Information on
Services and Resources
for People with Disabilities

TTY 711

Monday – Friday
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


Subscribe now to
Access Fairfax E-newsletter - News to Use

for the Disability Community


Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2013

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version