Low-Income Child Safety Seat Distribution and Education Program
Virginia law requires that all children up to age 8 be in a child restraint device (which includes a booster seat).
Parents, foster parents, legal guardians of a child aged 7 or
younger and pregnant women in their third trimester may be eligible
for a free child car safety seat from the Health Department. Please
see the eligibility criteria below.
For more information or to register in Fairfax County, call 703-246-8850.
To qualify for a free car seat through the Child Safety Seat Education and Distribution Program, clients must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Residents of Fairfax County, Falls Church or Fairfax City
- Must meet income eligibility requirements (any government assistance such as WIC, FAMIS or Medicaid is qualifying)
- Parent, foster parent, or legal guardian of a child aged 0-7 or be in the third trimester of pregnancy
- Must attend 2-hour safety seat class on proper installation and use
- The Fairfax County Sheriff's Office regularly has deputies trained and certified in child safety seat inspection available to help parents and caregivers ensure that safety seats are installed property and that children fit securely in the safety seat. Learn more about the Sheriff’s free Child Safety Seat Inspection
- Which car seat is right for your child? Learn this and more from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Safercar.gov is your one-stop website for information about highway and passenger safety, and consumer information. Visit the child safety page for more information about child safety seats.
- Virginia Department of Health: The Burden of Non-fatal Motor Vehicle Injuries in Virginia
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Child Passenger Safety
- Vital Signs: Motor Vehicle Crash Injuries - Costly But Preventable